Bafana Bafana defender Siyabonga Ngezana.
Image: BackpagePix
Former Kaizer Chiefs defender Siyabonga Ngezana is reportedly “disappointed” that he will not be part of Bafana Bafana’s FIFA World Cup squad, set to be announced on May 27.
Ngezana has struggled with injuries, having suffered a persistent meniscus tear and subsequent muscle and hamstring complications following a brief 12-minute comeback match in April.
But the defender, who played at last year’s AFCON and in the FIFA World Cup qualifiers, has worked his way back to full fitness and played in Monday evening’s Romanian Super Liga clash for his club FCSB against FC Hermannstadt.
However, FCSB coach Lucian Filip has disclosed that Ngezana is gutted at missing out on coach Hugo Broos’ 55-man provisional squad.
"It's clear he's disappointed, but that's life; football doesn't end there," Filip said of Ngezana on Antena Sport.
"In the end, he has to respect his club. Thanks to the club, he came to the national team's attention. I hope he will be present at the next World Cup," Filip added.
Ngezana had returned from AFCON with an injury but refused to undergo surgery in a bid to be fit for the FIFA World Cup.
The FCSB president of the administrative board, Mihai Stoica, had stated at the time that he believed Ngezana's World Cup hopes would suffer due to the defender declining surgery.
"If you ask me, his presence at the World Cup is totally compromised," Stoica said.
"He won't be able to play. I explained it very clearly. The medical staff explained it to him, and not only that. My colleagues and I all explained it to him, but he believes he will play," Stoica added.
"It's a unique case since I've been in football. I explained to him that he's of a certain age, he's never been injured, and it's normal for him to be held back, but he has no chance. What can I do?"