Dricus du Plessis announced the launch of the KNOX Legacy Series this past Monday, which will bring the EFC back to Cape Town for the first time since 2018. Photo: Armand Hough Independent Newspapers
Image: Armand Hough Independent Newspapers
Former UFC champion Dricus du Plessis still remembers the first time he stepped into an EFC arena — an experience he describes as electrifying and unforgettable. That moment would later become a driving force behind his KNOX brand partnering with the EFC to further elevate professional MMA in South Africa.
Following an exclusive report by Independent Media, the EFC — in partnership with KNOX Hydrate and the City of Cape Town — has officially announced the KNOX Legacy Series, a world-class mixed martial arts event set to debut at GrandWest Casino and Entertainment World on Thursday, 26 February 2026.
The inaugural showcase will feature some of the Western Cape’s top athletes facing elite international opponents, marking a major return for professional MMA in Cape Town after the EFC last staged an event in the city on August 11, 2018 with EFC72.
Although PFL Africa successfully brought professional MMA back to the Grand Arena earlier this year with its franchise debut, fans have long called for the return of the EFC’s iconic Cape Town shows — historically the promotion’s best-attended events, outperforming those in Durban, Johannesburg, and Pretoria.
After the disruptions of the 2020 pandemic, the EFC restructured its operations, centralising all events at its Paulshof headquarters in Johannesburg at the World Sports Betting Arena (formerly the EFC Arena). The shift reduced operational costs and helped the organisation recover from the financial strain of COVID-19.
While the arena has produced consistently sold-out events, its intimate 550-seat capacity cannot replicate the scale, atmosphere, and roaring energy of a packed national venue — the kind of environment du Plessis aims to restore in Cape Town.
Speaking at the KNOX Legacy Series launch at the high-end Hugo’s Social Club in Sea Point, Du Plessis reflected on the origins of his journey.
“What I want to talk about is what this event represents — not only the fights or the fighters,” he said.
“From the first day I started MMA, I knew I wanted to do this professionally. The first event I ever attended was EFC9 or 10 at the Coca-Cola Dome. I couldn’t believe how massive it was, and I knew I needed to be there.
“Here I am today — a former world champion — and all of that started the day I walked into that arena. I want others to have that opportunity. In South Africa, and Africa as a whole, we have so little compared to other nations, yet we’ve still achieved so much.
"This vision is about giving back to the sport that gave me everything. And I’m doing this with the EFC, who have supported MMA since I was 14 or 15,” added du Plessis, who made history in the EFC as the promotion’s first-ever double champion, holding both the welterweight and middleweight titles.
African MMA has experienced rapid growth in recent years, with numerous promotions emerging and African athletes earning global recognition. Long before organisations such as UAE Warriors, BRAVE CF, PFL Africa, and AKO entered the African market, the EFC stood as the continent’s premier MMA platform. Many of its alumni have gone on to compete on the world stage, including in the UFC, PFL, and ONE Championship.
“All of us in South Africa know this sport because the EFC gave us a platform,” du Plessis said. “They started MMA on the African continent and elevated it. We want to show the world — and the biggest organisations — that we can host a world-class event.
“Another major milestone is that MMA is now being recognised by the city and government as a legitimate sport, not just fighting. That recognition will help more people pursue their dreams. Thank you, Cape Town.”
The City of Cape Town, the Department of Sports and Du Plessis’ team had worked for years to secure a UFC event for South Africa, especially after his historic title win against Sean Strickland, becoming the country’s first UFC champion. However, excessive venue costs and other logistical challenges made the event unfeasible.
Despite this, stakeholders remained committed to delivering a world-class spectacle for South African fans.
Cape Town Mayor Geordin Hill-Lewis praised Du Plessis’ persistence.
“I have seen why Dricus is a champion — he does not give up. This has been a long time in the making, and we are privileged to host this event in Cape Town. When a UFC event proved too expensive, Dricus remained determined to bring a major MMA event here. This will help show that Cape Town is ready to host a UFC title bout in the future.”
EFC president Cairo Howarth confirmed that the KNOX Legacy Series will open the organisation’s 2026 calendar.
“This series will kick off EFC’s 2026 schedule in the biggest way possible. It will be broadcast globally across multiple networks, with significant digital traction — we’re talking hundreds of millions of viewers.”
The EFC has confirmed that champions Luke Michael and Faeez Jacobs will defend their belts at the event. Former champion Terence Balelo, along with Tumelo Manyamala, Adrian Sanchez, and Mischka Laubscher, are also slated to compete. Additional match-ups — including potential Brazilian contenders — will be announced soon.