News

Police presence fails to thwart Ekurhuleni's 'gold' rush

Published

Members of the Gugulethu informal settlement dig around in a kettle kraal for what they believe is gold.

Image: Timothy Bernard/Independent Newspapers

"EVEN if they come and take away our tools, that will not stop us from coming back again. This is the only way we know how to make a living for ourselves and our families."

This sentiment, expressed by Lintswe Mofokeng, echoed through a piece of land in Gugulethu informal settlement in Ekurhuleni where residents continued their search for what they believed to be "lucrative" gold particles.

This is despite a strong police presence after the City of Ekurhuleni deployed its law enforcement authorities to the area, which, since last week, has attracted scores of hungry and unemployed residents, desperate to make a quick buck. The intelligence-driven operation resulted in the arrest of some residents. 

A woman from the Gugulethu informal settlement in Springs, Ekurhuleni, is processing alleged gold particles found in one of the cattle kraals in the area.

Image: Timothy Bernard / Independent Newspapers

"If we had jobs, we would not be here digging for gold in such a manner. Our children are hungry, but since last week, we have managed to buy groceries and put food on the table for them to eat” said a woman, who did not want to be named, ahead of the police operation.

"Now they want to disturb us. Right now we want to return to work, and as you can see, we are single mothers who want to provide for their families."

The gold rush has drawn a multitude of residents, primarily women, who have transformed the landscape of the kraals, digging fervently for any sign of precious metal.

Yet, for every success story, there are those like Lubabalo Dlamini, who, after arriving just on Tuesday, hold out hope for a future find.

"I have not found anything yet, but whatever soil I have picked up could give me something, even if it is R3,000," he confessed.

Community leaders have called for government intervention, urging law enforcement to engage with the residents rather than resort to arrests.

Community activist Nceba Mnukwa said: "We want to be given a chance to work the land. Law enforcement must engage with us. They were supposed to come and honour the meeting, but they did not." 

Addressing the media following the disruptive operation, City of Ekurhuleni spokesperson Phakamile Mbengashe said the city was forced to respond by intensifying operations against illegal mining activities.

Police have descended on the Gugulethu informal settlement in Springs, where residents have been digging for gold since last week.

Image: Timothy Bernard / Independent Newspapers

"This was an intelligence-led operation aimed at addressing public safety amid community involvement and potential violence from armed miners. Our long-term strategy is education on the dangers, coordination with national efforts like Operation Val'mgodi, and site closure by city departments."

On the possible return of the gold diggers to the site, Mbengashe indicated that the City will  maintain a strong presence in the area.

"We had to send a message that illegal mining is not right, and when the community gets involved, it is our responsibility to maintain public safety. The ward councillor will engage the community on the dangers of illegal mining. Our teams will maintain a strong presence here, and the issue of the kraal will be resolved with the help of the councillor."

In a statement, the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE) reiterated that any mining activity conducted without the required permits or mining rights, as prescribed by the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act (MPRDA), is unlawful and constitutes a criminal offence.

“The Act clearly outlines the mandatory application and approval processes that must be followed by any individual or entity intending to undertake mining activities in South Africa,” the department said.

Cape Times